Why would I need a yoga practice for a holiday detox? Mmmmm…. because the holidays are great – eating fabulous food, hanging out with folks I love, eating fabulous food, spending a little extra time on the couch, eating fabulous food… do you see a pattern there? Do you follow that pattern, too? Do you need a holiday detox?
More food than usual, more rich food than usual and less movement than usual equals a belly that’s not as happy as usual and a little extra mental and physical lethargy. If you need to unfold your body or if you need to make friends with your belly again, try this little yoga sequence for a little holiday detox…
- Start sitting tall, breathing the Dirgha Breath (inhaling and exhaling from the bottom of your lungs upward). Try to maintain this method of breathing throughout the following practice.
- Lift your arms upward. As you exhale, release the arms down and twist to one side. As you inhale, lift the arms and turn to center. Repeat 10x to each side.
- Come onto all fours. As you exhale, round your back and move your hips toward your heels; as you inhale, come back to all fours and drop your belly downward. (Cat–> Child –> Dog). Repeat 10x.
- Come onto your belly, ground your pelvis to the floor. As you inhale, lengthen your spine and lift your chest. As you exhale, release down. (Cobra) Repeat 10x.
- Come to standing, feet hip width apart, arms overhead. As you inhale, send your hips to one side and your shoulders to the other, forming an arc with your body. As you exhale, come to center. (1/2 Moon) Repeat 10x each side.
- Bring your weight into your heels, lift your toes and squat down so your thighs come toward parallel with the floor. With your palms together in front of your heart, twist from the waist to bring one elbow to or toward your knee. As you inhale, lengthen your spine; as you exhale, deepen your twist. (Twisting Chair Pose) Hold 10 breaths each side.
- Lie on your back, soles on the floor, arms in cactus arms (like a Saguaro). Lift your hips toward the sky. Every inhale, expand your chest toward your chin. Every exhale, lift the hips higher. (Bridge Pose) Hold for 20 breaths.
- Add any other movements that might feel good before taking a mindful Savasana/Rest. Use Savanasa as a detox for your mind, staying present to any sensations or emotions that present themselves, without getting caught up in a story around them. Hold for 10 minutes.
**Another great detox flow (especially for the belly) is my favorite moon salutation – a video of that can be found here.