We will be hosting a workshop entitled Exploring Mindfulness at my yoga studio next Saturday. I’ve taken this workshop with Halli Bourne in the past and found it to be very helpful, filled with practical tools to enhance my life. I know Halli well (I should after leading 10+ retreats with her!) but I wanted to give you an introduction so I asked her if she could briefly explain what it means to be mindful (something that we will be learning in the workshop)… Here’s her response…
Why practice mindfulness?
- Yoga Asana to Assist Your Meditation ... — During hectic times (like the holidays), it can be challenging to calm the mind. Meditation can help. ALOT. But, when the mind is busiest can also be when meditating is the most challenging. Yoga asana/postures are great for helping to prepare yourself for meditation. When your mind is whirling, you often aren’t connected to your body. [...]
- Dynamic Meditation to Improve Your Fo... — Hard to sit still for meditation? This moving meditation may be helpful. It’s a nice intro to seated meditation if you tend to be a fidgeter. 🙂 As you move your hands in a prescribed rhythm, your mind must focus on what you are doing. Let your attention waiver and you may find you have [...]
- Breathe Deep with the Dirgha Pranayam... — We breathe all the time. But we don’t always do it consciously, we just kinda let it do its thing in the background while we go about our lives. This intrinsic thing that we cannot live without and we barely give it a thought. Amazing how our bodies work. If you do take time to [...]
- I just don’t get meditationR... — One of my students said to me recently “I just don’t get meditation.” I can understand why he said that – there’s often no immediate gratification when we start meditating. Rather, beginning meditators often experience frustration, great discomfort, overwhelm. It takes alot of trust that the process will yield results. With that said, I wanted to [...]
- Can you believe it? Humans prefer an ... — This experiment blew my mind! We clearly need more practice being with ourselves… what do you think? Do you spend time with yourself, alone? Honestly, its one of my favorite things to do but I do still distract myself an awful lot (especially with all my electronics). I am inspired now to put them down [...]