“Stirring the Shoulder” is a shoulder rotation and traction move that affects the entire shoulder girdle into the upper back, chest, neck, arms and side body. Its very simple and can especially be a huge relief for folks that spend the day on the computer.
As you try this pose out, work to find the largest comfortable range of motion for your partner. Part of the reason this pose affects so much of the upper body is that, when you take the shoulder in a large rotation, you are stretching (and then relaxing) all the muscles that attach to the shoulder and that run through the joint. This includes muscles in the back, the side body, the neck. the front of the shoulder, the arm. Simple, but, with a little focus and intention, this becomes an incredibly effective posture.
How to Stir the Shoulder:
- Have your partner lie on their side, with whatever support they like under their head and top leg.
- Sit on your heels behind your partner, with your belly button facing the same direction as the top of
your partner’s head.
- Slide your inner arm under their arm and grasp the top of their shoulder.
- Bring your other hand to the top of their shoulder, interlacing your fingers.
- Moving your torso in a circle, rotate their shoulder in a circle. You are essentially making a stirring motion, just as if you were stirring cake batter. 🙂
- Repeat in the other direction before gently leaning back to traction the shoulder and neck
- It’s possible that your partner’s head will lift a little bit off the floor; be sure that this is comfortable for them.
Benefits: Stretching and mobilizing the muscles of the neck and shoulder. Lubricating the shoulder joint.
Cautions: Instability in the neck – proceed with caution.
|Thai tutorials are published each Tuesday. To receive these posts in a monthly digest email, including exclusive tips, stories, and workshop details, please subscribe to our Thai Updates Newsletter. To learn in person, check out my schedule for upcoming workshops and certification trainings near and far.|
|Join me to learn Thai Yoga Massage in Belize! December 2016 in the beautiful Maya Mountains – certification training, yoga, excursions, fab food and great new friends! Pricing starting at just $1795. Visit belizeyoga.com for registration and more information.|