The Pec Twist is a delicious Thai Yoga Massage move is especially perfect for folks that hunch over their work all day – approach gently and slowly go deeper as the fascial tissues release. Ahhh, sigh 🙂
To do the Pec Twist:
- Stand on your knees behind your seated partner.
- Step the left foot forward into a lunge.
- Place your partner’s right hand behind their head and hold the front of their elbow while placing your left hand to the inside of their shoulder blade.
- Wag your tail (move the foot) to the left as you twist your body to face the right.
- Push with your left hand, gently pull with your right hand to bring your partner along into the twist.
- Hold in the stretch and let their breath do the work or move in and out with the breath.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Variation: You can also use your left knee instead of your hand to push your partner into the twist.
Benefits: spinal release and thoracic outlet/pectoral stretch.
Cautions: Osteoporosis – be sure to elongate your partner’s sine. Shoulder issues – proceed cautiously. Disc issues – skip this pose unless you have a doctor’s ok.
Prep for this pose by elongating the spine.
Counterposes: forward folds.
*My students have taken to calling this The Sprinkler as its reminiscent of the 80’s dance move — fun!
When you come into seated twists on your mat, relax a little more than usual and remember how your partner was able to twist your body for you. Can you bring some of that into your pose? Remember the way your spine and shoulders interacted when you weren’t doing the work. Can you bring a little of that into your own pose?
|Thai tutorials are published each Tuesday. To receive these posts in a monthly digest email, including exclusive tips, stories, and workshop details, please subscribe to our Thai Updates Newsletter. To learn in person, check out my schedule for upcoming workshops and certification trainings near and far.|
|Join me to learn Thai Yoga Massage in Belize! December 2016 in the beautiful Maya Mountains – certification training, yoga, excursions, fab food and great new friends! Pricing starting at just $1795. Visit belizeyoga.com for registration and more information.|