You say you have tension in your neck and shoulders? No way! This is such a common place to hold all our stress and tension. Our societal habit of hunching over phones and computers doesn’t help, either. This Thai Yoga Massage is a super simple move you can for your loved ones (and they for you!) to help resolved those discomforts.
How to do the Neck Squeeze:
- Kneel behind your partner and place a pillow between the two of you. This will make the pose less intimate and give you the distance you need for leverage.
- Scooch in as close as you can with your knees wide.
- Tilt your partner’s head forward.
- Hook your elbows around your partner’s shoulders.
- Interlace your fingers behind their neck, placing the heels of your hands on either side of the spine.
- Squeeze the heels of your hands toward each other to squeeze the muscles beside the spine. At the same time pull back with your elbows to stretch the shoulders.
- Release, move your hands up or down on the neck and repeat. Do several rounds up and down.
- To release the pose, place your palms on the sides of your partner’s head and gently lift the head to neutral. *If you lift up as you do this, you will also give their neck a nice traction.
Benefits: Helps to release tension in the neck and shoulders, especially targeting the traps.
Cautions: Osteoporosis or disc issues – if you partner should not tilt their head forward because of the state of their cervical spine, skip this pose!
|Thai tutorials are published most Tuesdays. To receive these posts in a monthly digest email, including exclusive tips, stories, and workshop details, please subscribe to our Thai Updates Newsletter. To learn in person, check out my schedule for upcoming workshops and certification trainings near and far.|
|Join me to learn Thai Yoga Massage in Baja, Mexico! March 2018 in the Sierra de la Laguna – professional-level certification training, yoga, excursions, fab food and great new friends!|