Our poor hips – they have the potential to move in so many directions and, mostly, all we ask of them is to sit and to walk. The Hip Rotations move will remind the hip just how much mobility it has. It will also lubricate the hip joint, accessing the synovial fluid that is required for smooth, gliding movement in the joint. Ease in the hips means more ease in the knees and the low back, making this an excellent prep pose for any Thai Yoga Massage. It is a pose that I rarely skip!
How to do Hip Rotations
- Kneel by your partner’s knee, facing their leg.
- First lift their heel with your bottom hand, and then lift the knee with your top hand, bending the knee as you lift.
- Scooch in as close to their other leg as you can.
- Begin to move your body in circles like a whirlpool.
- As your body moves, their leg will move.
- Explore their range of motion, as well as your own.
Benefits: Lubricates and loosens the hips for both giver and receiver.
Caution: Stay within prescribed range of motion for artificial hips.
–> Great Prep Poses: This pose is sort of the ultimate prep pose for hip poses. No need for anything else…
While having a partner do this is far more relaxing, your can do this on your own, too. Lie on your back, bend a knee and flex the foot. Take the leg in the largest comfortable circle you can. Do several rotations in one direction, then the other. Then try to other leg. It can also be interesting to do the same posture with a different relationship to gravity and see how it affects your movement. This can be incredibly enlightening. To that end, try the same thing on all fours and when standing. Notice the differences.