This Flying Boat is a pose to make you feel free – heart open, body relaxed, mind soaring! When you are receiving that is. So, if you are learning to give this pose, really take the time to get it right for your partner! As the giver, you will get a core workout and really begin to understand the dynamics of using your partner’s body for leverage (otherwise, you work WAY too hard and that’s just not what we go for in Thai Yoga Massage!)
How to do the Flying Boat:
- Sit behind your partner and place your feet on either side of their sacrum.
- You can press one foot then the other – a “peddling” sort of motion – to ease their low back.
- Press gently with both feet to keep your partner upright and ask them to reach their hands back.
- Hold their wrists with your hands and walk your feet up their back. Never take your feet higher than the base of their shoulder blades or you will lose the support you need for this pose.
- Press with your feet as you pull with your hands. *More press than pull is usually
- Variations: This is a very different pose depending on the hand position your choose: 1) with their palms facing out = more pectoral stretch; 2) with their palms facing in = more deltoid stretch; 3) with them actively holding your forearms = less intensity for the elbows.
Benefits: Opens the front of the shoulders and thoracic outlet, stretches deep in the arms.
Cautions: Be gentle with shoulder, elbow and wrist injuries.
|Thai tutorials are published each Tuesday. To receive these posts in a monthly digest email, including exclusive tips, stories, and workshop details, please subscribe to our Thai Updates Newsletter. To learn in person, check out my schedule for upcoming workshops and certification trainings near and far.|
|Join me to learn Thai Yoga Massage in Belize! December 2016 in the beautiful Maya Mountains – certification training, yoga, excursions, fab food and great new friends! Pricing starting at just $1795. Visit belizeyoga.com for registration and more information.|